By Carolyn Barnes
As busy working moms, it’s hard enough remembering to buy toilet paper, let alone finding the time to shave our legs. We’re often meeting everyone else’s needs but our own. As a result, we feel overwhelmed, overstressed, overtired, and overloaded. We are over functioning!
I’m a very busy mom and a former expert in excuse making. That said, I came up with a solution that’s excuse-proof: the cLEAN Momma Lifestyle Program and TASKERCISE™. It’s all about maximizing your time by combining exercise with your daily tasks.
My thought is, hell, if we are already sitting at our computer, wouldn’t it be cool if doing some desk exercises could strengthen our core, flatten abs, improve posture, firm thighs and tone arms, without stepping foot in a gym?!
Check out my two favorite, simple yet effective Taskercises that will give you quick results if done correctly.
These will absolutely tone your abs.
Try sneaking them in every time you check your email, Facebook, or transition to a new computer screen.
NOTE: The key is in your form and posture while you do this TASKERCISE™.
Remember to press your shoulders down, creating a nice long spine. Keep your abs engaged, and don’t forget to breathe.
- Sit up tall and straight placing both hands shoulder width apart, firmly pressing down on the desk/table.
- Bring your knees 2-3 inches off the floor, and towards the bottom of the desk/table. Make sure your shoulders are down, as you press firmly on the table.
- Squeezing your knees together, lift them up and down 10 times, each time you check email, or change screens.
Do this throughout your day, and you will absolutely tone your abs!
Tones your arms and abs while printing.
Next time you need to print something from your computer, use the 30 seconds and tone your arms and abs while you print.
NOTE: You can also do this TASKERCISE using the bathroom sink, after you wash your hands.
The key is in your form, and how you do them, if done correctly, this little reminder will have big results.
- Stand in front of your table, desk, (or wall if easier), placing your feet hip width apart.
- Place your hands on the counter/table, shoulder width apart and engage your abdominal muscles while pressing your shoulders down, elongating your neck.
- Make sure your shoulders are square to the counter and your elbows point away from your body.
- Bend your elbows lowering your chest 1-2 inches away from your counter/ table and exhale slowly.
- Straighten your arms as you inhale in and come back up. Remember to keep your neck long and in line with your spine, and to press your shoulders down, and your abs engaged.
- Do this 10-15 times, each time you print and you will tone up fast!
The power of Post-It notes! They make great reminders, and you will remember to do them.
- Write: “Do 10 Printer Pushups.” Stick it on your printer. Every time you print or use the restroom, do them.
- Write: “Do 10 Computer Crunches.” Stick it on your computer. Every time you check your email, Facebook, text, DO THEM!
They add up quickly, without even knowing. You’ll be thrilled with the results.
Carolyn Barnes is the founder of The cLEAN Momma Lifestyle™ and TASKERCISE™. She was able to created a unique workout, combining techniques of Pilates, basic isometrics, and multitasking. Her simple techniques are easy to incorporate into anyone’s busy lifestyle.
She has more than 20 years of experience as a classically trained professional dancer, certified master trainer Barre/Core/Pilates and certified health and wellness life coach. She’s also a motivational speaker, and published author, (The cLEAN Momma Workout). Carolyn has been featured as an expert on Good Morning America, Fox News, The Doctors, Style TV, KTLA News, CBS News, ABC News and The Today Show. She’s also served as a fitness content contributor for; Shape, SELF, Fitness, Woman’s First, Parenting, LA Parent, Red Book, Real Simple, All You, The Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Washington Post, National Enquirer and the Daily News.
When she’s not doing homework, carpooling, blogging or burning dinner, Carolyn creates wellness programs for new moms, mothers to be, along with nonprofit organizations helping women and mothers in need. In addition, she’s created wellness/fitness programs for Wells Fargo, CVS, Fresh and Easy.
To learn more Taskercises, visit Cleanmomma.com and check out her book, The cLEAN Momma Workout. It’s filled with tons of Taskercises, tools, recipes, and tricks for busy moms on the go.
4 thoughts on “Get Fit While You Work: Desk Exercises for Busy Working Moms”
For keeping for long time we have to exercise in every steps. Thank you
I wish your form was better in these pictures. elbows are raised to high towards shoulders and the “computer crunches” need to have added form correction. You need to emphasize that you must be slightly leaned forward. As people fatigue they tend to lean back and stop using the abs as primary muscle group and will use hips instead. Good exercise when performed correctly and very rare to see. I have been teaching them for years so thank you for getting them out there.
Wow amazing Tips. I do this. thanks