By Sarah Simms
It’s Thanksgiving Day and you’ve been slaving in the kitchen for eight hours since 6 a.m. (that’s not counting last night’s turkey brine party). Your perfectly calibrated timeline allows no oven or burner to go unused at any time throughout the day. The last thing you want to think about is preparing the dessert in the confines of the pit of the overused oven. “Why can’t some amazing no-bake desserts just magically appear before my eyes?”
Then it hits you: No-bake desserts!
No room in the oven? No problem. Now the question is, which one do you choose for your Thanksgiving grand finale?
Pumpkin Pie Parfait
You can always turn to Pinterest for some “I need that in my mouth now” dessert recipes. This one might just be the easiest you’ll ever make. You’ll need five ingredients:
- 1 package instant butterscotch pudding
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Whipped cream
- 2 piping bags
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
- Cover and chill one hour.
- Fill one piping bag with mixture and the other with whipped cream.
- Cut gingerbread in the shape of dessert dishes or rock glasses you will use to serve.
- Place gingerbread at the bottom of the glass.
- Layer whipped cream and pumpkin mixture to top of serving dish and garnish with a few sticks of gingerbread.
Rocky Road No-Bake Cheesecake
Move over ice cream, this dense-but-light cheesecake won’t melt before everyone at the table is served. Here’s the lowdown on yet another of the good Thanksgiving desserts on the horizon.
- 3 ounces baking chocolate, semi-sweet, divided
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 c. miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 c. peanuts, chopped
- 2 c. thawed Cool Whip
- 1 6 oz. cookie pie crust (OREO)
- Melt 1 oz. chocolate in microwave and coarsely chop other 2 oz.
- Blend cream cheese, milk and sugar with mixer.
- Mix in melted chocolate.
- Whisk in Cool Whip, chopped chocolate, nuts and marshmallows. Pour into crust and refrigerate 4 hours.
- Soften cream cheese by microwaving in a microwavable bowl for 10 seconds.
- Microwave chocolate in a microwavable bowl for 30 seconds, stir, microwave 30 seconds more, stir.
- Heat in 10-second increments until melted completely.
Recipe adapted from kraftrecipes.com (as pictured above).
No-Bake Turkey Cookies
When holiday decorations and dessert go hand-in-hand, you know you’re onto something special. These decorative no-bake turkey cookies can double as the kids’ table centerpieces.
- 1 package Fudge Stripe cookies
- 1 package of wrapped caramels (e.g. Rolos)
- 1 package candy corn
- 1/4 c. frosting
- Unwrap caramels.
- Use frosting to glue caramel ends to bottom of striped flat side of cookie.
- Glue a piece of candy corn on top of caramel with frosting. It looks like a turkey!
Voila! Easy breezy no-bake Thanksgiving desserts for a variety of audiences.
Sarah Simms is a culinary master who writes for various cooking blogs. She looks forward to the upcoming holiday season so she can share her kitchen creations with the world.