Do you pack your lunch when you go to work? I used to eat out at lunch a lot, but since I’ve been trying to live fit, I pack almost every day now. (I wish it was in the circa 1981 Annie lunchbox pictured here, but alas, I don’t know what happened to mine.) I also notice my coworkers bringing their lunches more often, maybe because of the economy.
- Any Amy’s, Kashi or Ethnic Gourmet frozen meal: These are more expensive than other brands, but if they’re on sale, stock up–they’re so much tastier and healthier!
- Progresso Light Soups: Pop the top and nuke them in a bowl or mug. A whole can is only 120 calories, and these soups actually taste good.
- Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers: A new addition to the HC lineup, but doesn’t require freezing or refrigerating. I just tried the Rotini & Zesty Marinara Sauce–it was surprisingly good(I’m not a big fan of their frozen entrees).
- Jello No Sugar Added Pudding Cups: Only 60 calories and they come in dark chocolate or chocolate/vanilla swirl. Yum!
- Sugar snap peas or baby carrots: These are no-fuss snack veggies that go well with your main dish or curb mid-afternoon cravings.
- Trader Joe’s single-serve creamy yogurts: OK, so they contain more calories than, say, Light ‘n’ Fit (140 vs. 80). But oh my God they are good!
- Any fruit that doesn’t require peeling, cutting, etc.: Throw in a banana, orange, apple, cherries, grapes, anything to get an extra serving of fruit in there!
- Hostess 100-calorie cupcakes: A nice little dessert for your lunch, guilt-free.
So there you have it–a few of my secrets to satisfying lunches at my desk. How about you? Share your top picks for packed lunches. (They don’t have to be healthy, either. I realize not everyone has 88 lbs to lose.)