Editor’s note: This article was updated for the 2014 holiday season.
Trying to think of the perfect Christmas gift for your favorite working mom? Or have you been too busy to make a list for yourselves, ladies?
Lucky for you, I made this list of Christmas gifts for working moms—with the help of fellow working moms I know—and checked it twice. Now it’s time for you to be nice. Show the working mom in your life how much she’s appreciated! (Moms: Feel free to forward this link to your partners, parents, etc.)
- Homemade meal-prep service, such as Dream Dinners or The Dinner A’Fare
- Babysitting for a day of shopping, ladies’ night out, or even an overnight trip/break. Find great child care and save 20% at Care.com with code 30SAVESM
- Day spa gift certificate (see Spa Finder or check your local listings). Or do an at-home spa kit: Save on Home Spa Products, Gifts at mySpaShop.com, 10% off “mss10” Coupon
- A stylin’ iPhone case
- A magazine subscription. May we suggest Working Mother (1-year automatic renewal)?
- Personal chef—for a day, a week, or longer! (Find a chef.) Or get the meals delivered, a la Personal Chef To Go, Inc.
- Satellite radio for those long commutes (we like this SiriusXM Satellite Radio SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus with Vehicle Kit)
- Concierge services (grocery shopping, errands, housesitting, coordinating maid service, etc.), such as Girl Friday Concierge
- Housecleaning service, such as Maid Brigade (or get a reference from friends/family)
- Remote car starter, such as the Avital 4103LX Remote Start System with Two 4-Button Remote
- Gift certificate to her favorite clothing store (non-mom-ish clothes, only)
- Subscription to Netflix for unlimited streaming movies and TV shows
- Starbucks Gift Card for coffee and goodies on the go
- The gift of total organization for every purse and bag: Purse Perfector …The end of handbag chaos
- Jewelry commemorating the mother/child relationship (see Mothers Day Necklaces for ideas)
- A peaceful retreat from the chaos—whether that’s a day with the house to herself, or a week at a luxurious resort.
Dream on …
As a special bonus, here’s another wish list—not necessarily realistic (or even possible!), but dream-worthy gifts nonetheless:
- Ability to expand and contract the space/time continuum to fit mom’s needs
- Electric sex
- To be magically skinny again
- Kids who don’t fight
- A cool new car
- Bigger, nicer house
- A 100% raise (or at least more than the cost-of-living increase!)
Do you have suggestions to add to either of these lists? Post them in the comments section. Meantime, I’ll update as I discover more of what working moms want.