If you’re coming to our blog via The Ultimate Blog Party… welcome to our place. Enjoy our favorite party recipes and tips below. We’re glad to have you and hope you’ll stick around!
Sara’s Pesto Cream Cheese Party Spread
Here’s an easy-to-make party recipe that always gets raves. I always do this to taste, so there aren’t any hard and fast measurements in the ingredients. You just add more of what you think is missing until you get the flavor and consistency you want.
1 bunch of fresh basil
1 handful of pine nuts
1 generous “dumping” of grated parmesan cheese
A few good “glugs” of olive oil
A couple cloves of garlic
1 block of cream cheese
Put the basil, pine nuts, cheese, garlic and olive oil into a food processor. Combine into a paste. Taste frequently and add more of each ingredient until you get the flavor and consistency you want. Spoon the pesto onto the top of the cream cheese block and serve on a small platter surrounded by crackers. I find that fancy water crackers work best.
And there you have it! Easy, cheap, and very tasty. Your guests will love it! Save some pesto for later and enjoy it over pasta.
Tela’s Bleu Cheese Ball
My friend Jackie first turned me on to a variation of this cheese ball made with bleu cheese. I tried to re-create it, found a recipe on the Internet, modified it a few times, and here’s what I ended up with.
- 1/2 lb bleu cheese, softened
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar of Kraft Old English Cheddar Cheese Spread
- Some garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- A bunch of pecans
- Mix all the cheeses, salt, and Worcestershire sauce together. An electric mixer might work best, but I bet you tough mamas could do without in a pinch.
- Shape into a ball, wrap in wax paper, and put in refrigerator overnight.
- Take it out in the morning (or right before your party) and roll it up in the pecans. Serve with crackers, veggies, whatev!
Susan’s Favorite Party Drink
Even though I’m not a Star Trek fan (not by a long shot), I am a fan of the Warp Core Breach drink, served at the Star Trek-themed restaurant Quark’s in the Las Vegas Hilton. My husband introduced it to me several years ago, and we’ve since served it at parties. It’s always a hit! I highly recommend the dry ice and glass bowls for effect.
- 120-ounce “warp core” glass bowl (check out a store like Michael’s or Pier 1 Imports for these. They’re pretty cheap.)
- Dry ice. Place a small amount of water 1 ounce on the bottom of the bowl and then pack it with ice. This will fuse the dry ice to the bottom of the bowl so it does not float to the top.
- 2 ounces Bacardi 151 Rum
- Straws (so you don’t freeze your lips on the dry ice!)
- 1 1/2 ounces each of Bacardi Limon, Bacardi Spice, Bacardi Select and Bacardi Light
- 2 ounces of Razzmatazz or a quality Raspberry Liqueur
- Top that off with 30 ounces of Sobe Power Fruit Punch
Drink up. Live long and prosper.
Cara’s Favorite Chicken Wing Dip
This dip tastes just like chicken wings! No dealing with bones or messy fingers.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot®
- 1 cup Ranch-style salad dressing
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I usually use chicken out of the can)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and hot pepper sauce until well blended.
- Mix in the Ranch dressing, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
I guess it depends on the type of party you’re hosting, but here are some of our favorite party tunes. Take a look at the music, and see if it’s right for your type of gathering.
Marvin Gaye—What’s Going On
Great motown slow relaxed vibe.
Various Artists—No Alternative
For all you moms who spend their teen and college-aged years in the 90s.
If you are raving it up with the glowsticks. Very upbeat.
Ben Lee—Cigarettes Will Kill You
Fun music from the little Aussie.
Kings of Convenience—Quiet Is the New Loud
Beautiful harmonies, relaxing.
Black-Eyed Peas—Monkey Business
Nothing gets your big ole butt shakin’ like Fergie, Will.i.am, and the gang.