Yes, you just read the words, “working mom” and “clean” in the same title.
Let’s set something straight first, my definition of “clean” was redefined with my first kid, and again with my second.
I’ve redefined clean several times over the past few years. Hint: I’m becoming more and more laid back here.
No matter how crazy your working mom life is, you can’t tell me you don’t love how a clean, decluttered home makes you feel.
As a full-time working mom, with a serious side hustle as a freelance writer, two school-aged kids, and one who plays on a travel hockey team—I’d say our days are pretty full, and I know I feel a sense of calm when the house is in order.
Here’s how I do it.
7 working mom cleaning tips
- Redefine clean. Mostly, this means decluttered. Toys are away, I can walk through rooms without cursing the Lego gods.
- Do a little every day. Spending just 20 minutes every night will make cleaning feel like a part of your daily routine and less like it’s taking away hours of your precious weekend time. Create a schedule for each chore for every night of the week. The best part about doing this is, is if you do it right you can wrap up all your cleaning during the week so you can enjoy your weekends to the max!
- Create a safe space. If cleaning the whole house isn’t going to happen, just cleaning a small space is enough. This could be my night table, my corner of the couch, or my home office. Block out the rest of the home and focus on your sacred (mostly) clean space.
- The “do-before” list. Once the kids were old enough we started a “do-before” list. This means the kids have a list of things to get done before they can watch TV. Watching TV always seems like the end goal, maybe it’s video games for your kids. The “do-before” list, is where the chores go. The kids help with picking up their toys, vacuuming, and dusting. Get one room clean before the TV is even turned on and you’ll be left smiling.
- Add it to your babysitter’s responsibility. Do you already have an after school sitter or nanny? Ask them to take on the additional task of cleaning. Be specific in the items you’d like cleaned and how often. You may need to increase the pay rate if they’re already babysitting and you’re adding additional responsibilities—my guess, is it’s well worth it.
- Clean as a family. If you can set aside some time on the weekend to crank some tunes, sing, dance, and get the cleaning done, you’ll be done in a quarter of the time.
- Hire help. Hiring a housekeeping service to come clean your home every other week, or even every third or fourth week will save you at least an hour or two a week. Price out some options in your area—you might be surprised how affordable it is. Also, ask yourself, how valuable is your time? If spending $80 twice a month buys you four extra hours to enjoy your kids, is it worth it? Are you willing to swap your daily $5 latte habit in return for a clean home?
16 thoughts on “Working Mom Cleaning Tips”
Thanks for this timely post. I am mostly a sahm and have been for nearly 15 years. I work Thursdays and Fridays 4 1/2 hours in the afternoon. I am trying to get into a routine for cleaning and exercising. I did really well for a few weeks with your schedule, but then life got in the way and I am trying to get back into it. I really need to spring clean and organize my kitchen, so after this busy week is over, I will start on that.
Darn life getting in the way! 🙂 Happy cleaning! Enjoy this fun and busy time with your littles!
All true, make a time every day like 20 minutes or 30 minutes in cleaning or organizing some staff before going to work or if you couldn’t make it out every day, you can try to hire cleaning services company available in your area.
Great Article. Thanks for the amazing tips
Great Article! Thanks for sharing helpful tip and ideas. Keep it up.
I very thankful to you for this amazing and interesting information for mom cleaning tips because this is very helpful for everyone. I am really glad to say I have learned new information for mom cleaning tips from your this article that are need for every woman. You have done a great job. Keep it up. Regards, LiverpoolDubai
Unbelievable site for Dubai visitors. we gives all cleaning organizations in Dubai furthermore gives house servants house keeping organizations, business cleaning organizations
Thank you to published it great, informative article
I very thankful to you for this amazing and interesting information for mom cleaning tips because this is very helpful for everyone. I am really glad to say I have learned new information for mom cleaning tips from your this article that are need for every woman. You have done a great job.
I really love your tips for cleaning the house these will make my time lessen
Very Thankful,I was get from you good tips, we are doing same jobs here in dubai, because this is very helpful to all people,Thanks to published this one, Very greatfull
Thanks for sharing the informative post.
Nice to see this wonderful post about cleaning tips. My pick is the second point ‘Do a little everyday’ as it really helps. Like the proverb we say ‘A Stitch in Time Saves Nine’, it’s quite true and when we have less works to do we tend to be interested and turn lazy when loads of works are there to be completed.
I’m a professional maid working in a house cleaning service providing company in Dubai, so personally it’s going to help me a lot in my professional life as well.
I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And I’m glad reading your article. Thank for sharing!
Your information is quite beneficial. You might get a compliment from your best cleaner, and if you’re looking for local and dependable commercial janitorial cleaning in Chula Vista, we’d be happy to assist you in getting rid of the filth, muck, and dust on your property. When a qualified house cleaning agency claims that the house is dust-free, you may believe them.
Mobile Pet Grooming
Our professional and experienced groomers will leave your pet looking and feeling good and will facilitate advice on any procedures your pet should be follow according to your pet requirement. We present personalized dog and cat grooming facilities at a great value.